Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Let Me Check My Calendar, Mr. President


The news cycle is full of the events today where President Obama sent a letters to Congress, one to Senator Harry Reid in the Senate and one to House Speaker John Boehner, today inviting himself to speak to Congress at 8PM EST next Wednesday, September 7th – the exact same time as the Republican Presidential Debate which has been scheduled for months out in California. Violating centuries of protocol of how Presidents request special time to speak to Congress, the President decided to dictate, with his usual arrogance, the time and place were “his” Congress would hear him speak. Evidently, he has recently discovered that the country is in the middle of an economic crisis, unemployment is too high and worst of all -- his approval ratings have hit an all-time low. So the President decided he better get off of the golf course and do something about it. I’d get into what he is proposing, but that’s too much info and deserving of a separate blog article.
So back to the scheduling of the President’s meeting with Congress – supposedly, there was a ‘confidential’ conversation between Barack Obama and John Boehner about the President’s request to speak to the Congress before the letter was sent – although both sides now deny this ever happened. However, be not dismayed -- the Old NCO’s crack investigative team has obtained a recording of that conversation.
Ring, Ring, Ring….
Rep Boehner’s Office: “Good Morning – this is the office of the Speaker of the House of Representative, the House Majority Leader, the Honorable John A. Boehner, representing Ohio’s 8th District – may I help you?”
White House: “This is the White House calling – is the Majority Leader in?”
Rep Boehner’s Office: “Yes, may I tell him who is calling?”
White House: “It’s the White House – who do you think is calling?”
Rep Boehner’s Office: “One moment please – I’ll connect you to the Speaker” At this point, Rep Boehner’s assistant places his hand over the phone and yells, “Sir, the White House is on line two”
Rep Boehner says, “who from the White House” – the Assistant answers “It’s Him – I think he wants to complain about the Tea Party again”
Rep Boehner “Go ahead and put him through”
JB: Good Morning Mr. President
BO: Good Morning John. I need to speak with you about something important. It’s a matter of national urgency.
JB: Are you talking about the devastation of Hurricane Irene?
BO: No John, fortunately, the Hurricane didn’t interfere with my golf in Martha’s Vineyard – this is something really important.
JB: Yes Sir, I understand – so how can I help you?
BO: Well John, I’ve been informed that my last stimulus plan isn’t working out as planned – you see, unemployment is still over 9% and I promised…..
JB: Sir, I don’t mean to cut you off, but unemployment has been over 9% for months – and you know the stimulus bill you passed with your Democratic House and Democratic Senate hasn’t worked – and it’s even made things worse.
BO: Now, John, let’s not get into that.. What I really need is to come up there to the hill and talk to you guys.
JB: Sounds good Mr. President, when did you have in mind?
BO: Well John, I was thinking next Wednesday, the 7th – about 8PM in the evening.
JB: OK, Mr. President, let me check my calendar…..
JB: Mr. President, you must be aware that’s the same time as the Republican Presidential Debate that’s scheduled out in California?
BO: Really, I didn’t know. I’m really gonna yell at my staff about that – but about the time, is it OK?
JB: Mr. President – you can’t be telling me you didn’t know about the debate and this is just a coincidence?
BO: Well, John, let’s put the country first and politics second – we need to work together to get this country working again.
JB: No disrespect Sir, but please reserve your campaign speeches for your party faithful.
BO: So John, next Wednesday’s OK then?
JB: No Sir, I can’t say that it is – for one, all of the representatives will just be getting back in town – and second, I really can’t believe this isn’t just politics to grab airtime away from your possible presidential contenders.
BO: Now John, that’s not true. I believe this is a time of crisis, and I need to tell the American people what I plan to do.
JB: Respectfully, Sir, that ship sailed a while ago. Let me suggest something to you, how about the next night? That would be Thursday, the 8th – does that work for you?
BO: No Way – the Packers play the Saints in prime time – who would listen to me vs. watching NFL Football?
JB: My point Sir.
BO: Click.
JB: (with a grin on his face) Click.

1 comment:

The Old NCO said...

Minutes after I posted this CNN reported the President will move his address to the 8th. Guess he made a deal with the NFL.